It is interesting from a scientific and medicinal standpoint because it produces forskolin. Coleus Root (Plectranthus barbatus or Coleus forskohlii) is a tropical perennial plant sometimes known as Indian Coleus or MainMula. The thick, velvety stems support plump, pale grey-green leaves with intense purple undersides. overview; data; media; articles; maps; names I saw that Rob Greenfield grows his own Plectranthus barbatus (blue spur flower) and promises that it grows vigorously in the Orlando area and is very soft. your own Pins on Pinterest Plectranthus barbatus - From the mint family, this plant has fuzzy, soft leaves with a mild minty sc.. $5.00 Add to Cart. also Brachyglottis repanda from NZ, aka Bushman's friend. I've been to the stores myself and seen the TP shelves completely empty. UPDATE: 10/21/2018. Who knew. Ang Plectranthus barbatus, na kilala rin sa singkahulugang Coleus forskohlii at sa pangkaraniwang salita na forskohlii at Indian coleus, ay isang tropikal na pangmatagalang halaman na may kaugnayan sa mga karaniwang uri ng coleus. East Afr Med J, 54(10):571-573, 01 Oct 1977 Very interesting! The plant I grow is Plectranthus barbatus (common name: Blue Spur One common name is blue spur flower, but there are many. Coleus barbatus, also known by the synonyms Plectranthus barbatus and incorrectly Coleus forskalaei (and other spellings of this epithet), is a tropical perennial plant related to the typical coleus species. Produces few seeds, spreading mainly by stem fragments through soil movement and dumping of garden waste. Whoever thought #toiletpaper would be the highest trending thing on twitter! Forskohlii Plectranthus barbatus Andrews. Maigoya has always been a plant that is very friendly to use for wiping. Here is my blog, written 5 years in advance of coronavirus: There are heaps of native Plectranthus species in Australia and a little bear told me that P. graveolens does a really good job and has a nice minty freshness about it. Plectranthus barbatus is a tropical perennial species in the mint family, Lamiaceae. Rob uses THIS plant (below) to grow his own super soft and natural TOILET PAPER! Plectranthus ecklonii has purplish-blue flowers, is less woolly. There are multiple soft plants out there that grow perfect leaves to be used as toilet paper. Toilet Paper Plant Plectranthus barbatus. Plectranthus barbatus, also known by the synonym Coleus forskohlii is a tropical perennial plant related to the typical coleus species. In Kenya it is also referred to as Kikuyu toilet paper, as in rural areas its leaves are used as such. Why is it weedy? He maintains three different honey bee colonies. Plectranthus barbatus - From the mint family, this plant has fuzzy, soft leaves with a mild minty scent and grows rapidly in sun or part shade. Then there is the matter of "toilet paper". Anyhow, majority of homes in OlKalou have pit latrines, some more than one. Anyone curious as to why and what can we do to neutralise the panic? Keith L, Reich W, Bush IM. Tropical Sage. The leaves are popular in Kenya for use as toilet paper... imagine a soft … It typically grows ... open to beautiful, long, bright blue spires of flowers, appearing in autumn. Constituents of Coleus Root:-It has attracted interest from a scientific and medicinal standpoint because it produces a substance called Forskolin and rosmarinic acid, flavanoid glucoronides and diterpenoids. In Marathi the plant roots are known as MainMula and especially used for pickles. Yes! Big Leave Plectranthus Overview. used for toilet paper sometimes confused with the native plant with similar properties but different uses, boldo. Blue Spur Flower aka Toilet Paper Plant (Plectranthus barbatus) $12.00 Buy Now. Toilet Paper Plant. It is now been over five years since I purchased toilet paper. Most homes do not have the money to stock up on toilet paper. Plectranthus Barbatus, Makandi Uses, Benefits, Side Effects, Makandi Ayurveda For Hyperthyroidism Healthy Heart and Hearty Lungs, Indian Coleus Benefits. Social media opinion seems to be expressing that our society is split between two schools of thinking, the panic thinkers and the fact thinkers in… Toilet paper that is! days to maturity: plant spacing: 1 plant per 10 square feet sunlight requirements: 6-14 hours look out for: mealy bugs and lookalike plants harvest notes: harvest large leaves as needed, plant will stay bushy if its pruned often perennial Perhaps most enchanting of all is Rob's toilet 'paper' -- actually, soft and good-smelling leaves harvested from a Blue Spur flower (Plectranthus barbatus… P. barbatus. What plant is my toilet paper plant? Ayurveda. In Ghana, it has been known to treat malaria. Its wide luxurious velvety leaves are very effective for that very important task. Photo: dripinventory.wordpress.com. Plectranthus barbatus, is a tropical perennial plant related to the typical coleus species. Tolerates semi-shade, damp, and high to moderate temperatures, but is frost tender. Many of you have shared stories of people fighting over toilet paper at the grocery store in the last few weeks. The plant I grow is Plectranthus barbatus. In India leaves and roots of Plectranthus barbatus have been traditional remedies in India for digestive complaints, heart and lung conditions, asthma, … Moderately long-lived. Learn more about Coleus uses, effectiveness, possible side effects, interactions, dosage, user ratings and products that contain Coleus collect. It is composed of about 150 species under the Mint family of plants (Lamiaceae) and is closely related to spearmint, peppermint, basil, thyme, oregano and salvia. This plant is grown throughout the world, likely because of its herbal uses, pharmaceutical qualities and in India it is grown for its edible roots and in parts of Africa as a substitute for toilet paper. In India leaves and roots of Plectranthus barbatus have been traditional remedies in India for digestive complaints, heart and lung conditions, asthma, insomnia, muscle spasm, convulsions and … Butterfly Pea (Clitoria ternateas) Butterfly Pea (Clitoria ternateas) $12.00 Buy Now. Mullein aka Cowboy Toilet Paper (Plectranthus barbatus) - Live Plant Ships in a 4" Pot Blue spurflowers are fast-growing, shrubby plants that reach mature heights of 6 to 8 feet. Discover (and save!) This plant is used for heart disorders and asthma. They all gave a history of using Plectranthus barbatus leaves (maigoya leaves) for toilet purposes prior to the onset of their disease. The bush is Plectranthus barbatus — or Blue Spur Flower — and its leaves are so lush and velvety that Greenfield has not purchased commercial toilet paper in at least five years. Certain plants he purchased—like banana and blue spur flower (Plectranthus barbatus—his toilet paper plant)—keep producing. I had been wondering the same thing. Its scientific name is Plectranthus Barbatus. Composting toilet system (one for number one and the other for number two)… Rob explains how it all works and why in the video below. Plants with soft, wide leaves are ideal. I noticed that someone asked him if it was one of the large oreganos. How does it spread? Plectranthus barbatus: Domehomedee Arroyo Grande, CA Added on Dec 17, 2015 9:26 PM: Seeds (PlantFiles) Wanted: Plectranthus barbatus: Onlysky Winter Garden, FL Added on May 14, 2014 4:01 PM: Plants, Cuttings (PlantFiles) Available for trade: Plectranthus barbatus aka coleus forskohii, Kikuyu toilet paper. Check out Plectranthus barbatus, aka 'Kikuyu toilet paper' in Kenya. The plant is called Blue Spur Flower (or Plectranthus Barbatus) Well my friends, I have a solution for you. It produces forskolin, an extract useful for pharmaceutical preparations and research in cell biology. Believe it or not, toilet paper doesn’t grow on trees. JAMA, 01 Jul 1969, 209(2): 269 DOI: 10.1001/jama.1969.03160150055023 PMID ... Perianal dermatitis in Kenya due to Plectranthus barbatus leaves (Maigoya leaves). Honey is a staple he relies on to sweeten his food and for what he sees as medicinal benefits. I have included that in my blog: 10 Ways to Wipe Your Butt for Free. In Kenya, the borage leaves are used as a fragrant alternative to toilet paper – locally known as Kikuyu toilet paper. Grow your own. The Homebiogas is a methane digester. Aug 4, 2017 - Plectranthus aliciae, Variegated Plectranthus, Madagascar Spurflower The COVID-19 crisis has seen many runs on toilet paper throughout the world, with stores emptied of this precious commodity. Currently I grow my own. Certain plants he purchased—like banana and blue spur flower (Plectranthus barbatus—his toilet paper plant)—keep producing. Perfect for the compost toilet. The … Perhaps the time has come to rediscover the original toilet paper—plant leaves!—and reincorporate them into our lives. Showy, bluish-purple flowers bloom throughout much of the season, depending on climate. In Kenya it is also referred to as Kikuyu toilet paper, as in rural areas its leaves are used as such. Actually I have 10 solutions. Dies back in winter but usually comes back from the ground. Dec 30, 2018 - This Pin was discovered by Garden Consultant California. What is the Homebiogas stove? Toilet paper dermatitis. It is also sometimes listed as Plectranthus comosus, an invalid name first associated in the late 19th century with Plectranthus ornatus and later listed as a synonym for Plectranthus barbatus. Owili DM.