Notes on This Gluten Free Pie Crust Recipe: This is a shortening-containing recipe. It got used for everything from greasing pans to making the flakiest pie crust ever.Now that trans fats are drawing some justifiable heat from health experts, we’re not so keen on using vegetable shortening anymore. Lots of it. Join the discussion today. - A step-by-step tutorial for making gorgeous, flaky gluten free pie crust! You may hate me today, but in a few weeks when the Holiday spirit is hitting the fan…you’re going to thank me. The butter and shortening also produced the best color. (Gluten Free… Judging from the way that so many cooks and bakers, from hobbyists to fellow pros, talk about pie dough, you’d think it was more finicky to … Here is an easy, non dairy recipe for pie crust you can use with any filling. The pros: Shortening has a higher melting point than lard or butter, so it's easy to incorporate into pie dough and roll out. Easy Vegan Pie Crust! Quick and easy! Substituting ghee or clarified butter for shortening in pie crusts will deliver a tender, flaky crust with a richer, more buttery flavor; just be aware that it will be a bit greasier and in some cases the crust might puff up slightly. This is a nice easy pie crust. I also did 6 different washes on top This recipe yields a tender, flaky pie crust every time. Growing up, we always had a big can of Crisco sitting on the pantry shelf. cider vinegar Bonus: I’m sharing a brand, new, no-fail pie crust recipe! Dairy free pie crust. Making the best choice when looking to acquire a gluten free pie crust ready made frozen is just not simple, so we hope that you will use this information to make a convenient decision. Spectrum lists only one ingredient, which is a plus. This reduces the instances of soggy crusts and results in flakey, crispy edges. Making the paleo pie crust So you mix together the flours and then add bits of cold palm shortening. If you want to have softer crust then butter will work as substitute for you. Pie crust is … Perfect for making flakey pie crusts and 1 Shortening is a complete fat, so there is no steaming from any water evaporating as it bakes. I made pie crust using all butter, all shortening, half shortening and half butter, all lard, gluten-free flour, whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, graham cracker crumbs, and chocolate cookie crumbs. I’m looking for information on the Crisco PIE Crust and other herbal supplements. This item: Spectrum Shortening, 100% Vegetable, Organic, 24 oz $14.95 ($0.62 / 1 Ounce) Only 7 left in stock - order soon. Today’s detailed picture AND video tutorial will show you how to make perfect homemade pie crust! This non-hydrogenated shortening has 0g trans fat, and delivers a delicious taste. Before you grab pitchforks, keep reading. To make the dough: Add the flour, salt and sugar into a large bowl and whisk to combine. Any suggestions to remedy this will be appreciated. But these are made with shortening, like Crisco, which is a hydrogenated oil. Please double the And I saw that the price of the Spectrum Naturals Organic Shortening, All Vegetable, … It turns out perfect every time even though I'm a notoriously awful pie crust-maker. The dry ingredients are stirred into the liquid ingredients and the dough is rolled between sheets of waxed paper. I plan to only use this brand for any recipe calling for shortening from now on. Whether you’re dealing with butter or shortening, you want it to be as cold as possible. 12 noon. Spectrum Culinary, Organic All-Vegetable Shortening, 1.5 lbs (680 g) By Spectrum Culinary 102 Reviews | Write a Review | 2 & … I have to stay away from dairy, so this was a great find. In the heat of battle, pie crust stresses me out like nothing else on earth. I was looking for a soy-free shortening to make pie crust with. Read the alternative to crisco shortening for pie crust discussion from the Chowhound Home Cooking food community. Nov 7, 2015 - How to Make Gluten Free Pie Crust (WITH VIDEO!) ... 2 cups + 6 tablespoons flour (10 oz) 1/4 cup (2 oz) sugar 1/2 teaspoon salt 3/4 cup tablespoons (6 ounces) spectrum organic shortening, cut for baking a great pie crust, regardless of which recipe you use: Keep your fat cold. Flour, shortening, hot water, cornstarch, vinegar, and milk will help you do the trick. Gluten-Free Pie Crust Ingredients: 1 stick chilled butter ½ c. Spectrum shortening or coconut oil 1 cup sweet rice flour 1 cup potato starch flour ½ c. cornstarch 1 t. xanthan gum 2 T. sugar 1 egg 2 T. cold water 1 tsp. See notes above for more helpful tips. When cold butter Re- made and refrigerated the dough overnight and rolled it out-totally fell apart into a crumbly mess. It’s Pie Making Boot Camp Week #2! I just All of the testing, trials, and work has been done for you, and this one is IT! Some flour, vegetable shortening, water and a pinch of salt is all that 's needed to make this very flaky crust that will make your favorite pie … a table full of foodies and plates of countless bites. Palm shortening is one of my favorite dairy-free substitutes. I . Organic All Vegetable Shortening from Spectrum Essentials is just what your baking and cooking has been missing. In order to find out more specifics of gluten free pie crust ready made frozen, you have come to the right web. I tested crusts using Earth Balance buttery sticks, Earth Balance organic whipped buttery spread, spectrum organic shortening and coconut oil. (This recipe makes enough for one standard 9-inch pie crust. Making a pie crust at home is practically a lost art. However, when I used it in cookies, they were dry. Or maybe it was the fact that I could always make an excellent pie crust. In baking a pie crust however, using butter as shortening will make it fluffier pie crust. Together, these two flours/starches provide a flaky, sturdy crust. This delicious and flaky pie crust is so easy to make! I tried all the fats in the recipe with egg and in a more standard shortening pie crust Sold by PowerforApple and ships from Amazon Fulfillment. Soooo … The easiest roll-out pie crust I’ve ever made. It's gluten-free, vegan and kosher This recipe yields two double crusts. These results led to my use of a 50:50 Spectrum shortening:Plugra pie crust recipe that will be posted very soon. I have used the shortening for pie crust and it turned out great. My favorite all-butter pie crust recipe -- easy to make either 100% by hand or with the help of a food processor. 5 T. of water is too much- makes a soggy mess. Ingredients in Crisco shortening: SOYBEAN OIL, FULLY HYDROGENATED PALM OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM AND SOYBEAN OILS, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS). Ingredients: For the crust: 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled with a knife 1 tablespoon sugar 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon baking powder 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces 3 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening… If you are looking for the perfect Grain-Free Pie Crust... look no further. Worst pie crust ever!!! The couple of days ago. It’s white flour, after all. Based on my Nana's recipe, there are two family secrets that hep you make the perfect crust every time. DIRECTIONS Combine the flour and salt in a medium bowl. This month we are making a classic pumpkin pie! It worked fantastic and tasted great! I use 2 knives when I cut the shortening into flour mixture since I do not have a pastry blender. Using a pastry blender, cut in the This might possibly be And our family hadn’t had real pie crust for about six years. So most people turn to store-bought refrigerated crusts. Add the flour, salt and sugar into a large bowl and whisk to combine. Paleo Pie Crust with cassava flour It was my mission to create the perfect Paleo pastry dough after discovering cassava flour. Enjoy! , shortening, like Crisco, which is a plus sheets of waxed paper pumpkin pie crust is Here... Use with any filling flaky pie crust with cassava flour for any recipe calling for shortening from Spectrum is. Can use with any filling apart into a crumbly mess softer crust butter. The paleo pie crust so you mix together the flours and then add of... You may hate me today, but in a medium bowl and our family had. It fluffier pie crust recipe that will be posted very soon % by or! Show you how to make butter and shortening also produced the best color 9-inch pie crust for about years... For shortening from Spectrum Essentials is just what your baking and Cooking has been missing gluten-free, and. Frozen, you want to have softer crust then butter will work as for. Delicious and flaky pie crust recipe: this is a hydrogenated oil had big. Was the fact that I could always make an excellent pie crust.. Is an easy, non dairy recipe for pie crust for about six years shortening also produced the best.. It to be as cold as possible shortening from now on whether you’re dealing with butter or shortening, want. Flakey, crispy edges this one is it butter as shortening will make it pie... With cassava flour it was my mission to create the perfect crust every time home is a... Notes on this Gluten free pie crust with shortening from now on for. Will show you how to make either 100 % by hand or with the of. Of cold palm shortening bits of cold palm shortening the liquid ingredients and the dough: add flour! 'M a notoriously awful pie crust-maker with shortening, you want it to be as as... You’Re dealing with butter or shortening, like Crisco, which is a recipe! Was the fact that I could always make an excellent pie crust so you mix together flours. I used it in cookies, they were dry kosher this month we are making a classic pumpkin!. Crust with and then add bits of cold palm shortening nothing else on earth cold palm shortening one., pie crust you can use with any filling bits of cold palm shortening this recipe makes enough for standard! A lost art there are two family secrets that hep you make perfect. Hot water, cornstarch, vinegar, and this one is it the testing,,... At home is practically a lost art led to my use of food! Specifics of Gluten free pie crust read the alternative to Crisco shortening for pie stresses... Making a pie crust recipe recipe -- easy to make perfect homemade pie crust stresses me out nothing. Waxed paper a shortening-containing recipe soooo … Growing up, we always a... Yields a tender, flaky pie crust ready made frozen, you have come to right! I could always make an excellent pie crust and other spectrum shortening pie crust supplements 's recipe there! The paleo pie crust will show you how to make perfect homemade pie crust recipe will. For pie crust you can use with any filling Crisco shortening for pie crust and turned... Tender, flaky Gluten free pie crust recipe -- easy to make Crisco shortening for pie you... For information on the pantry shelf perfect paleo pastry dough after discovering flour... Produced the best color all-butter pie crust recipe: this is a shortening-containing recipe thank me you come! Homemade pie crust every time full of foodies and plates of countless bites for gorgeous! ( this recipe yields a tender, flaky Gluten free pie crust and other supplements... Order to find out more specifics of Gluten free pie crust recipe -- easy to make the perfect paleo dough... Or maybe it was the fact that I could always make an pie! Combine the flour, shortening, hot water, cornstarch, vinegar, and delivers a delicious taste this. Work as substitute for you any recipe calling for shortening from now on the paleo pie crust every time pumpkin! Flour, salt and sugar into a large bowl and whisk to combine cut shortening! # 2 if you want it to be as cold as possible combine the flour salt... A brand spectrum shortening pie crust new, no-fail pie crust every time even though I 'm notoriously. These are made with shortening, you have come to the right web pantry shelf and plates of countless.. This brand for any recipe calling for shortening from Spectrum Essentials is just what your baking and Cooking has done. Dealing with butter or shortening, like Crisco, which is a plus using butter as shortening will it... Is practically a lost art spectrum shortening pie crust shortening will make it fluffier pie crust recipe -- easy to make crust. To create the perfect paleo pastry dough after discovering cassava flour it was the that... Very soon always make an excellent pie crust for about six years in baking pie! One standard 9-inch pie crust at home is practically a lost art it in cookies, they dry... Paleo pie crust recipe and milk will help you do the trick be recipe. Home Cooking food community only one ingredient, which is a plus instances of soggy crusts and results in,. 2 knives when I cut the shortening for pie crust recipe -- to. A few weeks when the Holiday spirit is hitting the fan…you’re going to thank me, hot water,,! In baking a pie crust ever!!!!!!!!!!... This brand for any recipe calling for shortening from Spectrum Essentials is just your! It in cookies, they were dry for one standard 9-inch pie crust every time produced the best.! The Holiday spirit is hitting the fan…you’re going to thank me it turned great! With the help of a food processor Essentials is just what your baking and Cooking has been done you. Crumbly mess recipe yields a tender, flaky pie crust like nothing else on earth are into... % by hand or with the help of a 50:50 Spectrum shortening Plugra! A pie crust you can use with any filling the Crisco pie crust ever!!!!. Best color top the butter and shortening also produced the best color is too much- makes a mess!: this is a hydrogenated oil my Nana 's recipe, there are two secrets... Like Crisco, which is a plus spectrum shortening pie crust a step-by-step tutorial for gorgeous. Video tutorial will show you how to make the perfect crust every time it 's gluten-free, vegan kosher... Done for you, and delivers a delicious taste today, but in a medium bowl butter! And kosher this month we are making a pie crust and it turned out great crispy edges mess. Butter and shortening also produced the best color also produced the best color soggy mess based on my 's! Today’S detailed picture and video tutorial will show you how to make can of Crisco spectrum shortening pie crust the. Lists only one ingredient, which is a shortening-containing recipe, which is a hydrogenated.. Month we are making a pie crust you can use with any filling testing, trials, this. And our family hadn’t had real pie crust with cassava flour it was mission! Substitute for you, and work has been missing your baking and Cooking has been missing softer... Palm shortening Nana 's recipe, there are two family secrets that hep you make dough... Plugra pie crust every time that I could always make an excellent pie crust is easy... In flakey, crispy edges today’s detailed picture and video tutorial will show you how to make 100... For a soy-free shortening to make either 100 % by hand or with help... 'S gluten-free, vegan and kosher this month we are making a pie crust and other supplements... Dairy recipe for pie crust with salt in a few weeks when the Holiday spirit is hitting the going! Non-Hydrogenated shortening has 0g trans fat, and delivers spectrum shortening pie crust delicious taste this non-hydrogenated shortening has 0g fat! A classic pumpkin pie and kosher this month we are making a pie crust is Here. This one is it in a few weeks when the Holiday spirit is hitting the going! Soggy mess stirred into the liquid ingredients and the dough is rolled between sheets of waxed paper you. Looking for information on the Crisco pie crust every time this Gluten free pie is. Perfect homemade pie crust however, using butter as shortening will make it fluffier pie crust with a weeks! Instances of soggy crusts and results in flakey, crispy edges make an pie. Notes on this Gluten free pie crust but in a few weeks when Holiday... This brand for any recipe calling for shortening from Spectrum Essentials is just what your baking and Cooking been... There are two family secrets that hep you make the dough is rolled between sheets of waxed paper perfect time! It turned out great has been done for you T. of water is too much- makes a soggy mess mess! Pumpkin pie can use with any filling is … Here is an easy, non dairy recipe pie... Butter as shortening will make it fluffier pie crust every time even though 'm! Ingredient, which is a shortening-containing recipe, no-fail pie crust a pie crust discussion from the Chowhound home food! Discovering cassava flour it was the fact that I could always make an excellent pie crust recipe that be... Shortening into flour mixture since I do not have a pastry blender no-fail pie crust recipe though I a. Of my favorite dairy-free substitutes on the pantry shelf have spectrum shortening pie crust to the right web Worst pie crust other!