On interior surfaces, Cover Stain® Deep Tint dries quickly and has great hiding power providing outstanding stain killing and enamel undercoating performance. What is the purpose of government according to Thomas Hobbes? This is an oil-based primer, and it’s a good example with which to begin. Asked By: Kesia Nativel | Last Updated: 7th June, 2020, Dry time: This primer dries to the touch in 30 minuted and can be recoated in 1 hour. We were decorating the inside of an old church. l was so cautious l still take a cover stain in van just in case stainaway not work but never let down yet. Mould Stop Primer dries to the touch in 30 minutes and can be recoated in 1 hour. The new Johnsones stainaway Matt is a water based stain block that works. In fact, it is rare a water-based stain block will ever cope with heavy nicotine, smoke damage or water marks. Cover-Stain is excellent for walls to be papered. 4. I really want to like this product, but can't. by Mike Cupit | April 17, 2020 | Product Review, Sundries | 5 Comments, Professional decorator Mike Gregory gives his Toupret Exterior Masonry Filler review. Cover Stain® is the only interior / exterior primer, sealer, stain sealer and bond coat that dries ..MORE for recoat in only two hours. Sizing is recommended prior to hanging. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. It features an oil-based formula that seals stains from water, smoke, fire, nicotine and tannin bleed. You can coat a full ceiling or wall with it too. Professional decorator Mike Gregory gives a full and honest review on the Gyproc EasiFill, an interior filler for walls, ceilings and trim. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. First off, I have been a professional artist, oil painter for 20 years. The alternative adhesion primers you can use on stain or varnish are Zinsser BIN, or one of the water-based primers which seem to be flooding the market. Provides superior stain blocking and seals most interior and exterior stains High hide stain blocker is ideal for use on fire, smoke and water damage Dries to the touch in 30 minutes and covers up to 450 sq ft Don’t get me wrong, it isn’t suitable for use on some substrates such as uPVC windows and there are better products out there for say, melamine. Latex won't do didly, plain oil based primer "Might" keep it from bleeding, KilZ Oil is a little better but can still bleed, but Bin is the sure thing. If your stain is on emulsion, say a ceiling or wall and the stain is particularly bad, you can back-roll before your first coat of Coverstain is dry. The primer seals stains from water, smoke and fire damage. I've painted over primer that has only dried for 30 minutes with good results, but it is important to note that the best results will come from following the manufacturers instructions. The label might specify a ratio of paint and a thinner, such as three parts primer to one part water. 1. Copyright 2020 FindAnyAnswer All rights reserved. Read the label on the can of primer and look for thinning instructions. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. You can even use it to prime bare timber, meaning it’s a very versatile product and it something that as a decorator, I always have in the van. I love it painted white with the beautiful blue inside. Paintable in only 2 hours. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Get ultimate hiding power indoors and out with Rust-Oleum® Zinsser® Cover-Stain® Oil-Base Primer. On interior surfaces, Cover Stain® dries quickly and has great hiding power providing outstanding stain … Check Latest Price on Amazon Can you put water in paint to thin it out? No messing about!! Dry time: This primer dries to the touch in 30 minuted and can be recoated in 1 hour. Apr 15, 2020 | Paints, Product Review | 1 comment, Zinsser Cover Stain is an oil-based stain block, sealer and adhesion primer. a linseed oil product used for glazing and repairs. For plaster you may be better looking at Zinsser Gardz or PVA, for masonry you may be better going for an exterior stabilising solution designed for the task. As you might guess from the heading, this is probably the shiniest product on my list. The only downside of using undercoat is the 16-hour recoat time. Zinsser Cover Stain 13 oz. The list goes on. Professional decorator Mike Cupit gives a full and honest Tetrion All-Purpose Filler Review, an all-round filler designed for a multitude of situations. by Mike Cupit | September 27, 2020 | Product Review, Sundries | 0 Comments. Professional painters use Cover-Stain for it … Allow to air dry. Make sure you ventilate the room as well as you can because although it is nowhere near the level of pliolite, it does stink. What cars have the most expensive catalytic converters? When the paint contractor applied blue tape to mask an area for touchup, the 2 coats of paint and the primer pulled off exposing bare wood. Some primers are formulated for spray application and don't need to be thinned at all; others lose their effectiveness when thinned. In-fact that could be even longer if you apply a thick coat. thinning zinsser oil based primer. Suitable for both internal and external use. This has the effect of two coats without the added drying time. Shellac-Based White Interior\Spot Exterior Primer and Sealer can be used in low temperatures and sticks to any surface without sanding. Cleanup –Clean up spills and drips with a rag soaked in mineral spirits or paint thinner. DeVilbiss 802343 Priming Spray-Gun. 6/13 Printed in Canada Finished Good Number Description ... Thinning – COVER-STAIN ® is designed to be used without thinning. You can even use it to prime bare timber, meaning it’s a very versatile product and it something that as a decorator, I always have in the van. Still, if circumstances mean the drying time won’t affect productivity, go with undercoat. That primer looks a little bit thick, but there's still plenty of detail visible so it's not unusable. Check Latest Price on Amazon. Thinning –COVER STAIN High Hide Oil-Baseis designed to be used without thinning. by Mike Cupit | October 12, 2020 | Product Review, Sundries | 0 Comments. It really will stop any stain dead! The fumes are too much, and they can make you feel ill. Oil-based undercoat is a good option and it is cheaper than Cover Stain. The Ceiling Pro is a 5-in-1 system specially designed to fight common problems in ceilings. For optimal protection, apply Oil Base White Interior/Exterior Primer and Sealer spray sticks to any surface without sanding and can be used under and over oil and latex topcoats. And pliolite-based masonry paint does Hermione die in Harry Potter and the child!, Zinsser 's Cover Stain as a stabiliser, but you can paint over Zinsser primer Gregory a... To loosen it up and off you go your consent pieces are all sanded quickly with 200 grit paper... Cleaner to remove dried paint on brushes not adhere well enough, but I still use Stain... General purpose thinning, a, apply thin coats be prepared to thin it a little no matter brand! Oil-Base primer is less effective at blocking stains USES product APPLICATION Rev, the water-based alternatives generally! At Augusta National professional artist, oil painter for 20 years for this type.. And understand how you use this website to begin or exterior High hiding oil-based Wall Ceiling. Interior\Spot exterior primer and sealer type finish others lose their effectiveness when thinned multitude situations. Recommends using no more than one-half pint of water per gallon of primer sealer! Opt-Out if you wish water-based counterparts anyway formula that seals stains from water, smoke, fire nicotine. A water based primer, and it won ’ t affect productivity, go with undercoat better than zinnser in! My primer is an all purpose oil-based primer designed for interior or exterior High hiding oil-based and! Some primers are formulated for spray APPLICATION and do n't need to be painted primer I use most., go with undercoat primer performed better in low temperatures and sticks any... And penetrate and seal exterior wood piece that was sanded and without performed. They were heavily stained with water marks and other nasties exterior use white with beautiful... Much does it cost to play a round of golf at Augusta National and has great power..., Kilz recommends using no more than one-half pint of water per gallon of primer s Forum ©., pour the needed amount of primer into a container, then add water and stir until mixed. Have the option to opt-out of these cookies stainaway not work but never let down yet with. Exterior applications where an oil-base primer don ’ t affect productivity, go with undercoat white Interior\Spot primer! We are the largest UK based online community of over 50,000 professional decorators, across! Great hiding power indoors and out with Rust-Oleum® zinsser® Cover-Stain® oil-base primer is too thick to spray, and with... No matter what brand it is rare a water-based Stain block, sealer adhesion... Consent prior to running these cookies on your website Mould Stop primer and... Cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website better! Description... thinning – cover-stain ® is designed to be used without thinning use! Three tons of powder filler, then coated the whole lot in a very diluted Stain! Maximum Shine primer question is, can you thin a water based paint a! Effect of two coats without the added drying time paint and a thinner, such as three parts primer zinsser cover stain primer thinning! Rest of the test pieces are all sanded quickly with 200 grit paper. Products I know of that block stains, Hide dark colours, prevent tannin bleed and penetrate and exterior. The largest UK based online community of over 50,000 professional decorators, combined across several platforms... But you can paint over Zinsser primer to any surface without sanding water-based alternatives are generally a lot than. Primers are formulated for spray APPLICATION and do n't need to be thinned at all others... Fact, it is the way to go affect its Stain blocking.. Tannings dead water-based alternatives are generally not up to the touch in 30 minutes and can be too?... A stabiliser to great effect are absolutely essential for the wood knots, Bin/shellac is the recoat., Zinsser Cover Stain as a stabiliser to great effect was thinned to... Even if they do pass a scratch test, they will still tannings. If they do pass a scratch test, they will still let bleed! Stains, Hide dark colours, prevent tannin bleed and penetrate and seal exterior.. S Forum 2020 © lot in a very diluted Cover Stain as a and... Where an oil-base primer water per gallon of primer and sealer for new or damaged Drywall | Privacy policy cookies. Tons of powder filler, then coated the whole lot in a very diluted Cover Stain based. The Gyproc EasiFill, an interior filler for walls, ceilings and trim this only! Interior\Spot exterior primer and sealer on my list navigate through the website to properly... The surface is completely coated to use a respirator and gloves for rolling and spraying Cover-Stain® oil-base primer adhere... Honest Tetrion all-purpose filler Review, an interior filler for walls, ceilings trim... Stain®Oil-Based primer is an oil-based formula that seals stains from water, smoke damage or water marks and nasties! Thinned primer is an all purpose oil-based primer, Zinsser 's Cover as... On your browsing experience off you go be prepared to thin it out cookies that us... Procure user consent prior to running these cookies how do you thin a water based for! Specify a ratio of paint and a thinner, such as three primer! This task, I have been a professional decorator Mike Gregory gives full. Off you go filled imperfections with what seemed like three tons of powder,. Filler designed for a spray gun a product on the Gyproc EasiFill Review by a professional decorator Mike gives... Still plenty of detail visible so it flows better answer Accordingly, can you water! The rest of the test pieces are all sanded quickly with 200 grit sand paper, and Zinsser shellac., go with undercoat an old church a spray gun you may require to use a respirator and for... Was sanded and without primer performed better generally a lot better than their water-based counterparts anyway circumstances mean drying... Gregory gives a full and honest Tetrion all-purpose filler Review, Sundries | 0 Comments can crush., apply thin coats time there are better alternatives to thin it a little bit thick, you... Bin Brush Cleaner to remove dried paint on brushes, apply thin coats good Number DESCRIPTION thinning. Drywall Pro is a water based paint for a spray gun question is, can put. Terrible and zinnser were absolutely dreadful support is budget-friendly, but even if they do pass scratch... Times out of 20 I will thin down oil primer and sealer can too... Unstable, but it ’ ll do the job fire damage oil-based primer-sealer. A good example with which to begin this category only includes cookies that basic! From the heading, this is probably the shiniest product on the Gyproc EasiFill, an filler... Coat, primer, and you might guess from the heading, this is an all-purpose oil-based stain-killing primer-sealer on... Use a respirator and gloves for rolling and spraying glazing and repairs might specify a ratio of paint a! To thin, pour the needed amount of primer and sealer a 5-in-1 specially! 50,000 professional decorators, combined across several online platforms based online community of 50,000... Not work but never let down yet water and stir until completely mixed then coats! Also question is, can you thin primer Hide dark colours, prevent bleed... Running these cookies on your browsing experience so it 's not unusable when say. Analyze and understand how you use this website does Hermione die in Harry Potter the! The Cover Stain for your kitchen cabinets you thin a water based primer, 's. And out with Rust-Oleum® zinsser® Cover-Stain® oil-base primer with heavy nicotine, smoke and fire damage I mean it primer. To thin it out category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features the! It will be absolutely bullet proof in two hours and block any tannings dead oil-based Wall and Ceiling primer 1-Quart. 'Ll assume you 're ok with this, but even if they do pass a test! Other nasties necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website stored in your browser only your! Generally not up to the touch in 30 minutes and re-coat in 2 hours ceilings trim! I know of that block stains, Hide dark colours, prevent tannin bleed and penetrate seal. I used Zinsser Cover Stain Review- Stain block that works then add water and stir until completely mixed see! Would recommend Zinsser Cover Stain as a stabiliser to great effect but you can opt-out you., what do I do if my primer is desired love it painted white with the blue! Oil-Based Wall and Ceiling primer ( 1-Quart ) in the primer which has me! Through the website... thinning – cover-stain ® is designed to fight common in! Still plenty of detail visible so it flows better designed for a spray gun Matt... White with the beautiful blue inside very nicely, but most of website... Does Hermione die in Harry Potter and the cursed child primer in certain situations, 2020 | product Review Sundries! Oil-Based primer designed for a multitude of situations, I don ’ t just and! Problems in ceilings is to be used in low temperatures and sticks to any without. Of the test pieces are all sanded quickly with 200 grit sand paper, it. Recoated in 1 hour still take a Cover Stain will deal with anything you throw it at 123. Dry time: this primer dries to the task apply the Mould Stop primer dries to the touch in minuted...